[Wikimedia-l] fiction: WMF policy of paying less than market

Leslie Carr lcarr at wikimedia.org
Thu Mar 7 18:43:06 UTC 2013

On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 5:46 AM, James Salsman <jsalsman at gmail.com> wrote:
> Jan-Bart de Vreede wrote:
>
>>... I do want to make sure you (and everyone else) realise that there is no FACT like the one that you mention.
>>
>> "fact that the
>>> Foundation's policy of paying below market salary discriminates
>>> against potential hires with large expenses such as kids in college or
>>> a mortgage from 2007?"
>>
>> because
>> a)  there is no such policy....
>
> So would you disagree with Erik Moeller's statement of 29 December 2012?
>
> "[WMF compensation is] below some companies that are
> similar to us, notably Mozilla which is structured as a for-profit
> owned by a non-profit and pays market-level compensation (sans
> equity). Wikimedia is above most non-profits that do tech work, and
> there's a fair bit of room to grow compensation-wise for an
> entry-level hire. It's not what people could make elsewhere, and
> that's understood by folks who make it through the process."
> -- http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimedia-l/2012-December/123272.html
>
>> Finally I find the idea of restraining people to talk about salary
>> almost comical....
>
> Would you post the text of the non-disparagement clause referred to at
> http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Minutes/April_5-7,_2008#Non-disparagement_and_confidentiality_agreement

Talking about my salary isn't disparaging the company -- as referenced
later, in the US employers can't prevent folks from talking about
their salaries.

Though I do feel that the WMF salary is discriminating against my
right to fly first class everywhere.  My champagne glass won't refill
itself, you know!

Leslie

> and
> http://uk.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Water_cooler&diff=19657&oldid=19653
> please, so we can see exactly what it says?

Leslie Carr
Wikimedia Foundation
AS 14907, 43821
http://as14907.peeringdb.com/