[Wikimedia-l] Global bans RFC closed

Federico Leva (Nemo) nemowiki at gmail.com
Mon Mar 4 06:44:53 UTC 2013

Nathan, 03/03/2013 23:22:
> [...] Peter's suggestion that it be revisited in a year is
> wildly optimistic, given the sclerotic nature of meta ;-)

It works only if in a year the policy will not have any use; oterwise
all comments will have an ad personam taste i.e. the discussion will be
made useless by becoming an appeal for individual (non) bans.

> My prediction in my comment still stands - some communities will
> object to the global ban, and permit users to circumvent it. Other
> communities with constituencies on meta will attempt to use global
> bans as leverage in disputes, with the impact primarily felt on the
> English Wikipedia. The policy makes no attempt to anticipate these
> issues, sadly.

I don't remember, was the RfC advertised via centralnotice and other
effective ways? The participation is extremely low for such a matter:
global sysop vote had 2230 participants and global block was even
removed from the package.

Nemo