[Wikimedia-l] Global bans RFC closed

Steven Walling steven.walling at gmail.com
Sun Mar 3 22:03:56 UTC 2013

On Mar 3, 2013 1:47 PM, "Nathan" <nawrich at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hmm. There were 77 comments in support, and 68 comments in opposition,
> but it was closed as supporting the global bans policy in its current
> form. Interesting.

Note the comments for the second option were to support the position that
the policy needed revision. Essentially it means "not yet", not "I oppose
global bans" . There were only 17 comments in favor of having no policy
whatsoever. The RFC was originally drafted without the third option because
the terms of use approved by the Board includes reference to a community
policy about global bans. While the mere concept of global bans is clearly
distasteful to some, it has and will still happen in very rare occasions.
There's no putting the genie back in the lamp. In light of that, I think
it's a good thing that there is a  consensus decision-making process
outlined for how to do it.