[Wikimedia-l] Fwd: [Commons-l] FOP in Europe: does this include WWII monuments with art?

Jane Darnell jane023 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 3 12:10:36 UTC 2013

After discussing this issue with the daughter of a Dutch WWII veteran
(yes, she's old!) I have come to the conclusion that the logic for
handling photos of artwork on Dutch WWII memorials should follow the
same rationale as this one:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Deletion_requests/Image:Boy_Scout_Memorial-27527.jpg

In that discussion, the whole category for the Washington, DC Vietnam
memorial was nominated for deletion, see here:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:WhatLinksHere/Category:Vietnam_Veterans_Memorial
The last word on that discussion was "I called the Smithsonian and the
Park Service about this. Aside from laughing, they were confused why
anyone would assume that the copyright was owned by anyone except the
USGov, or that it wan't in the PD. I can't get anyone on the record
about this."

I would go so far as to assume that the same is true for Dutch WWII
memorials, and if we cannot come up with a good way of preserving
Dutch WWII memorial images for the Dutch Wikimedia community to use in
any Wikipedia project (so not just the NL wiki), then I propose a
Dutch Wikipedia blackout on May 4th out of protest, since obviously
the only hindrance is the fear of Wikimedia Commons users that they
will be legally pursued, and I assume that this fear is real enough
that we can go public with it.

On a personal level, as a Dutch citizen, I would be willing to be the
first to be tried legally on such an issue, and after my discussion
this morning, I believe I could crowd source my legal fees with
support from the Dutch Wikipedia community.

Jane