[Wikimedia-l] Provisional Wikimedia Kenya no longer a chapter

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Fri Mar 1 23:22:07 UTC 2013

http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:Recognition_of_Wikimedia_Kenya

> Please could you confirm that WM Kenya didn't sign the chapter's
agreement before 6 Feb 2013?

> I'm rather surprised to hear that they're being encouraged to incorporate
and affiliate as a user group rather than as a chapter - please could you
explain the rationale here?

Have you read the email to the Kenyan list? I think it explains the
situation quite well.

They haven't incorporated, which was a condition of the provisional chapter
status. It sounds like the wmf thinks the kind of things they want to do
are better suited to a user group than a chapter. I don't know enough about
the Kenyan group to know if that is true, but other models of affiliation
were created precisely because chapters are the right solution for every
situation.