[Wikimedia-l] What community initiatives have made an impact on editor engagement?

Asaf Bartov abartov at wikimedia.org
Wed Jun 26 02:07:25 UTC 2013

Briefly, from the train (so no links):

1. The Wikipedia Challenge competitions were not community initiatives;
they were Google initiatives.

2. Agree with Nemo about tools' importance.

3. I'd call out the Tamil Wikipedia Media Contest: great return on very
modest investment (of funds); and the Malayalam WikiSangaMotsavam, a series
of community and outreach events around a big community gathering, that
correlates with a noticeable rise in active editors in MLWP.  Both are
community initiatives supported by WMF grants.

   A.