[Wikimedia-l] What community initiatives have made an impact on editor engagement?

Steven Walling steven.walling at gmail.com
Tue Jun 25 18:04:16 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 12:47 AM, Federico Leva (Nemo)
<nemowiki at gmail.com>wrote:

> 1) I'm confused: first you ask about community initiatives then you list
> activities by chapters and the like. "Community initiative" makes me think
> of edit drives, custom tools and scripts, processes, guidelines,
> configurations.

Sorry for the confusion. I'm open to hearing about any non-WMF activity,
but I assumed that people would be most knowledgeable
about initiatives that came from chapters or other parts of the community.

> 2) Are you interested in last year or all our history?

Let's say since about 2011, with more recent being of primary interest.

>  3) Is it really impossible to look for the impact on the statistics
> (assuming you're speaking of eiting activity) and then ask what caused the
> impact? How much big but indetected/undetectable impact is there? (There
> must be contrasting forces for that.) Are you interested in impact that
> can't be even seen in statistics?

We're also looking at which projects are growing, so as you say, looking at
the stats and then asking what caused it. If you are aware of a editor
recruitment or retention activity that measured, I'd also be interested in
hearing about that, even if it didn't necessarily make some kind of visible
 jump in the total active editors of a project.

Steven

P.S. Thanks to the folks who reached out off-list with examples.