[Wikimedia-l] PRISM

Luis Villa lvilla at wikimedia.org
Tue Jun 11 18:17:13 UTC 2013

[+ Advocacy Advisors]

On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 9:08 AM, Liam Wyatt <liamwyatt at gmail.com> wrote:
> Perhaps we as individuals, or the WMF as an organisation, might also like
> to sign up to Mozilla's campaign "stopwatching.us"?
>
> Blogpost -
> https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2013/06/11/stopwatching-us-mozilla-launches-massive-campaign-on-digital-surveillance/
> Website - https://optin.stopwatching.us/
>
> I note from the selected list of organisations that have already signed (of
> whom several are our frequent allies) we would be in good company.

Hi, Liam-

Participating in StopWatching is definitely one of the options. For
WMF to get involved in that way, there needs to be a consultation with
the Advocacy Advisors list and (time permitting) an RFC. By following
that process, we can be sure that the actions WMF takes are consistent
with community's opinion on the topic.

If you think WMF should be more involved, we (as always) invite and
encourage you to start an RFC or discussion on Advocacy Advisors. We
would pay close attention to those, and use them to help us guide our
next steps. Please let us know if there is anything else we can do to
support, of course.

(Our full internal policy is at
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Legal_and_Community_Advocacy/Foundation_Policy_and_Political_Association_Guideline#Collaborative_Advocacy).

Thanks-
Luis

--
Luis Villa
Deputy General Counsel

NOTICE: This message may be confidential or legally privileged. If you
have received it by accident, please delete it and let us know about
the mistake. As an attorney for the Wikimedia Foundation, for
legal/ethical reasons I cannot give legal advice to, or serve as a
lawyer for, community members, volunteers, or staff members in their
personal capacity.