[Wikimedia-l] PRISM

Craig Franklin cfranklin at halonetwork.net
Mon Jun 10 04:05:14 UTC 2013

I'd suggest that while Wikimedia projects are somewhat less susceptible to
PRISM-style snooping, simply because we're not a communications medium like
Google or Facebook are.  However, there is plenty of non-public information
that could be of interest:

- The IP addresses and identities of logged on users
- Server logs (including logs of users who use the https version of the
sites)
- Times, dates, and possibly contents of emails sent through the "Email
this user" functionality
- Other information that is not kept at the application (MediaWiki) layer,
but possibly could be logged at the database or OS layers.

I wouldn't say that there's nothing to worry about, but at the same time I
doubt we're near the top of the spooks' priority list.

Cheers,
Craig Franklin