[Wikimedia-l] PRISM

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Mon Jun 10 03:05:38 UTC 2013

On Sun, Jun 9, 2013 at 10:53 PM, Benoit Landry <benoit_landry at hotmail.com>wrote:

> What "information" could the WMF disclose that isn't already available to
> some volunteers anyhow?

I don't know what information "some volunteers" have access to, who
qualifies as "some volunteers" (does the board qualify?), or why it matters
whether or not a person is a volunteer.

By access logs I meant HTTP access logs.  It's pretty clear that without
taking extraordinary measures, what you're editing is not anonymous.  But
some people are probably under the impression that what they're reading and
searching (and linking from) is private.

The IP addresses of logged-in editors are visible to volunteer CUs;

En-masse, or one-request-at-a-time?

deleted revisions and log entries are visible to all volunteers admins.
> Wikipedia's inherently a pretty transparent system...

Transparent?