[Wikimedia-l] Wikivoyage logo

Maggie Dennis mdennis at wikimedia.org
Sat Jun 1 03:39:48 UTC 2013

On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 8:21 PM, MZMcBride <z at mzmcbride.com> wrote:

> Michelle Paulson wrote:
> >Since then, the Foundation has received a cease-and-desist letter from the
> >WTO, requesting that we change the logo. While we wish that the WTO agreed
> >with our assessment that the two logos contain substantial differences and
> >could co-exist, we understand their concern. We still believe that there
> >are some significant differences between the Wikivoyage logo and the WTO,
> >however, such arguments are not guaranteed to win if we were to legally
> >oppose this request because there are also some substantial similarities.
> >With this in mind, as well as the fact that the Wikivoyage logo is still
> >relatively new and has not had a chance to build significant brand
> >recognition yet, we believe the better solution is to hold a new community
> >contest for a new logo.
>
> Will the current Wikivoyage logo be an option in this upcoming logo
> selection contest? If the Wikivoyage community is strongly in favor of
> retaining the logo it already approved, what are options?

On behalf of a Wikivoyager, I've already asked the legal team if
derivatives of the current logo would be usable, and I'm afraid the answer
is no. It must be a new logo.

> I don't believe there's any precedent for the Wikimedia Foundation vetoing
> a community-approved logo in this manner. (Is there?) This seems like
> unchartered territory for Wikimedia, so it's important to be cautious and
> careful, I think.

I think that the reason why there's no precedent is because this is the
first time that we have run into a trademark infringement claim against a
logo.

> >We believe that the community is the best body to decide what logo should
> >represent their hard work and hope that interested community members will
> >take this opportunity to once again showcase their creativity and talent
> >by submitting designs.
>
> As I posted on the relevant Meta-Wiki talk page just now, the Wikimedia
> community cannot feel rushed or pressured to accept this new logo
> selection procedure. Typically a discussion of this nature would last at
> least thirty days, from my experience.
>
> This leaves two options, as I see it: pushing back the timeline for the
> selection of a Wikivoyage logo by a few weeks or not using this procedure
> for the selection of the next Wikivoyage logo.

The question of process is one for Meta, where discussion is already
underway. No reason to fracture it. :) I appreciate your input there.

Maggie

--
Maggie Dennis
Senior Community Advocate