[Wikimedia-l] Let's have the courage to sit down and talk about VisualEditor

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Wed Jul 31 16:47:10 UTC 2013

Hoi,
Quality like beauty is in the eye of the beholder. One thing that I learned
today is that the Visual Editor will have functionality that only the more
accomplished editors will enter directly or they will use templates. With
VE these templates are redundant.

>From my perspective, the future will be with the VE and not with the
horrible tortuous templates that require study to use. One of the reasons
why I prefer Wikidata over Wikipedia is that Wikidata does not have
templates and is certainly as relevant. When I notice the improvements in
the Wikidata experience, I can only applaud the improvements made.

What is truly beyond me is that people protest the availability of the VE
edit button. It is the choice of everybody to use VE or not. When they do
they will have a similar experience I have with Wikidata.. You can only
rejoice for the improvements that are made. Given that the improvements to
the VE are a top priority, this experience can only be that much more
enjoyable..

For all the oldies who complain about VE I want to remind them about the
Commons experience; Commons existed without any functionality. It took
months before we could use the images in any Wikipedia.

Really stop moaning and let that button be.
Thanks,
    Gerard