[Wikimedia-l] Feedback for the Wikimedia Foundation

phoebe ayers phoebe.wiki at gmail.com
Sat Jul 27 16:39:44 UTC 2013

Right -- and if not that specifically, I'd imagine most experienced users
do have various hacks, scripts, gadgets etc installed that we've
accumulated over the years. I know many people who have been editing for a
long time have a custom skin as well.

I don't know how any of these might or might not affect VE performance, but
one thing about the VE being enabled for IPs too (at least on a few
wikipedias) is you can always log out and see if the same problem persists
:)

-- phoebe

On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 12:45 AM, Jane Darnell <jane023 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have tried and failed to use the Visual Editor several times in the
> past few weeks, and as with all new technologies, I consider myself a
> "follower" rather than a "leader",  so I was very interested to look
> up the Dutch feedback that Romaine was reporting. One of the comments
> was that it was impossible to create a simple blue link with the VE,
> since the VE throws <nowiki> around any attempt to do this. Since that
> is one of the most basic parts of wikimarkup that anyone will use, I
> decided to investigate, since that was my problem too.
>
> I am happy to report that I just discovered what the problem is. I had
> turned off the "Show edit toolbar" option in my preferences (probably
> over a year ago), so I wasn't seeing the top part of the VE edit
> toolbar, which includes the hyperlink icon, among other things. I was
> only seeing the other, second, line of the VE toolbar icons for
> including media, reference, references list, and transclusion.
>
> I expect that many other experienced Wikipedians have the same
> problem. This should help solve a lot of the "ghost edits".
>
> 2013/7/26, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com>:
> > On 26 July 2013 03:12, Everton Zanella Alvarenga
> > <everton.alvarenga at okfn.org> wrote:
> >
> >> Maybe a new community (less conservative?) to build a good
> >> encyclopedia can come up if a new platformn be invented?
> >

> > Hence "power users" as a snarl word.
> >
> > After the uprising of the 17th of June
> > The Secretary of the Writers’ Union
> > Had leaflets distributed in the Stalinallee
> > Stating that the people
> > Had forfeited the confidence of the government
> > And could win it back only
> > By redoubled efforts. Would it not be easier
> > In that case for the government
> > To dissolve the people
> > And elect another?
> >

> > - d.

* I use this address for lists; send personal messages to phoebe.ayers <at>
gmail.com *