[Wikimedia-l] About the concentration of resources in SF (it was: "Communication plans for community engagement"

Everton Zanella Alvarenga everton.alvarenga at okfn.org
Fri Jul 26 02:23:43 UTC 2013

Wikimedia Foundation planned a few years ago to open an office in
Brazil, one India and one in the Middle East, but it has given up of
this trial for several reasons.

I think before thinking about the idea of this thread, these cases
should be seriously studied, inclusing some possible problems and
challenges that can raise when you have far workers from different
culture doing a work led by an Americo-centric organization (that was,
at least, one thing pointed out by some consultants during the last
all staff meeting, if I undersstood well).

And I think there is a good point about WMF office being in SF for a
global organization. Its timezone is one example. What about the price
of the city? But that would be a long discussion and the actual
structure of the organization wouldn't allow this to change anytime
soon.

Now that we know that Internet in US is as safe as in Chinas (:D),
maybe an office there would be a good trial? :)

--
Everton Zanella Alvarenga (also Tom)
OKF Brasil - Rede pelo Conhecimento Livre