[Wikimedia-l] Russian Wikipedia in trouble /yet/ again

Martijn Hoekstra martijnhoekstra at gmail.com
Wed Jul 10 07:31:28 UTC 2013

On Jul 10, 2013 8:59 AM, "David Gerard" <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10 July 2013 07:51, Fred Bauder <fredbaud at fairpoint.net> wrote:
>
> > It is easiest to analyze if the work has never been published.
> > Distributing it then is a taking of intellectual property regardless of
> > whether the original is physically taken or only a copy. The theft is of
> > the possible gain lost. Actually, rather like claim jumping. It is not
> > the ore that is lost but the right to mine it and profit from it.
>

> Fred, what's your actual point and suggested course of action with
> this thread, and what does it have to do with the original starting
> point?
>

> - d.

+1. Could we abandon the discussion whether or not copyright violation is
theft or not ASAP, and get this thread back to what we can do about the
possible shutdown of Russian Wikipedia? The copyright status could be
interesting for a different thread and/or meta. The discussion copyvio vs
theft may be nice for irc or Usenet or something.