[Wikimedia-l] Office hours

Rui Correia correia.rui at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 13:55:21 UTC 2013

That makes more sense - but to turn that into a noun (we are having "office
hours" on Tuesday", is stretching the borders of everything language.

What next? "we are having **Car Park** on Saturday" to denote the sort of
informal discussions that carry on after a meeting as peole head for their
cars? ;-)

Rui

On 26 January 2013 15:46, James Alexander <jalexander at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> I don't know if it's just an american school thing but I know the term from
> my professors (and before that some high school teachers) who had 'office
> hours' which were set hours when they could be guaranteed to be in their
> office without other meetings/commitments so that you could just drop by
> without an appointment an chat.
>
> James
>

> James Alexander
> Manager, Merchandise
> Wikimedia Foundation
> (415) 839-6885 x6716 @jamesofur
>

> On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 5:41 AM, Federico Leva (Nemo) <nemowiki at gmail.com
> >wrote:
>
> > Rui Correia, 26/01/2013 14:36:
> >
> >  I am a langugage person - speak a number of them, have a passion for
> >> linguistics, etymology and philology. I had understood that it was some
> >> kind of meeting, but was naturally curious as to why it should be called
> >> "office hours".
> >>
> >> Thanks for explaining, but it still leaves puzzled to call a meeting
> >> "office hours", when something less arcane would do - like "IRC-Chat",
> >> "Wiki-Chat", Wiki-Miti", "Wiki-gether" "Rendez-VouWiki", etc etc .....
> >>

> > I think the idea is/was that the "mysterious WMF office" opens for
> > everyone to "visit" and chat, through IRC.
> >
> > Nemo

Rui Correia
Advocacy, Human Rights, Media and Language Work Consultant
Bridge to Angola - Angola Liaison Consultant

Mobile Number in South Africa +27 74 425 4186
Número de Telemóvel na África do Sul +27 74 425 4186