[Wikimedia-l] Aaron Swartz is dead

Kat Walsh kat at mindspillage.org
Sat Jan 12 17:27:11 UTC 2013

On Sat, Jan 12, 2013 at 4:04 AM, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:

> Killed himself.
>
> http://tech.mit.edu/V132/N61/swartz.html
>

> - d.

Oh, Aaron. I remember meeting him, after reading some of his writing, and
being surprised to find the person behind the mental voice, introverted and
thoughtful and a little awkward, in contrast to the boldness of his blog.

I considered him a friend, though I wish I'd known him better; I remember
talking to him, often in a smaller gathering of nerds after some conference
or event, about copyright, the open web, Wikipedia, social structures, and
usually about some problem or another that existed in the world. And unlike
almost anyone else, a short time later Aaron would have founded an
organization or taken on some big project or pulled some crazy stunt to try
to fix that problem, because that's just what he did. And sometimes he
succeeded.

What a huge loss.

-Kat