[Wikimedia-l] No access to the Uzbek Wikipedia in Uzbekistan

Emmanuel Engelhart emmanuel at engelhart.org
Mon Jan 7 06:11:05 UTC 2013

Le 07/01/2013 06:17, Tim Starling a écrit :
> On 24/12/12 20:23, Anonymous User wrote:
>> I don't know how much effort each of these two measures would be. If you'd
>> ask me, I would suggest to be "very serious", but we are not under a
>> deadline (the situation has been like this for more than a year now), and
>> setting the rel="caonical" would already be really, really helpful.
>
> This is done now. It would be good if Google could crawl
> uz.wikipedia.org to update the canonical URLs.
>
> In case anyone is wondering, I don't think this would be a good thing
> to do on zh.wikipedia.org. The Chinese government would happily block
> *.wikipedia.org port 443 if it became popular. At least the current
> situation provides a way to work around keyword filtering for people
> who are sufficiently motivated -- if HTTPS was blocked, it would be
> much less useful.

I have released last week a ZIM file of the Wikipedia in Uzbek to make
it available offline.

This is a pretty poor replacement for the online Wikipedia, but in some
cases this may help people accessing our contents.

Everything is on the Kiwix homepage http://www.kiwix.org.

Bundle with Kiwix:
http://download.kiwix.org/portable/wikipedia_uz_all.zip.torrent

Kind regards