[Wikimedia-l] compromise?

ENWP Pine deyntestiss at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 7 00:46:35 UTC 2013

James,

I think some of those questions would be good questions for Gayle for the
IRC meeting, but I will make a few comments.

I think that WMF does have some problems that it needs to address
that fall within the scope of work of HR. I don't work for WMF but
I would say that as a "customer" of  their services I feel that lot
of the scores and and employee comments that were reflected in the
survey are generally aligned with what I believe their strengths and
weaknesses are as an organization. Therefore in response to your
first question I would say that I feel that the degree of anonymity
offered by the survey was sufficient to make employees feel
comfortable with providing candid feedback about what's good and
what needs improvement and that the perception of employees is
not radically different from the perspective of at least this
"customer", and I think this synchronicity is a good thing.

I think Erik addressed your question about pay in a way that is very
reasonable and I would ask you to re-read his comments on this topic at
http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimedia-l/2012-December/123272.html

I get the impression from the December 2012 Metrics meeting that the
disconnect between exec survey responses and responses at other levels
in the org is very visible to the execs and I would expect them to address
this in a thoughtful and timely manner.

I suggest that the IRC meeting may be a better forum than
this mailing list for you to ask further questions.

Pine