[Wikimedia-l] "Big data" benefits and limitations (relevance: WMF editor engagement, fundraising, and HR practices)

Thomas Morton morton.thomas at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 3 10:01:14 UTC 2013

On 3 January 2013 06:38, Tim Starling <tstarling at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> You don't need "big data" to see what needs to be done.

It might help; often it is surprising how statistical analysis can help
narrow the focus of such efforts.

For example; it is taken as a given that incivility drives away new users,
but do we have hard statistical evidence to back that up? And if that is a
true situation, can we identify specifically what uncivil things are
driving the most editors away (rudeness, templating, etc.).

Although please lets do it without words like "big data", which makes me
squirm :P

Tom