[Wikimedia-l] "Big data" benefits and limitations (relevance: WMF editor engagement, fundraising, and HR practices)

Cristian Consonni kikkocristian at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 09:54:05 UTC 2013

2013/1/3 Tim Starling <tstarling at wikimedia.org>:
> On 03/01/13 16:09, George Herbert wrote:
>> Laugh all you want, but the best man at my wedding's scalable P2P in
>> the cloud company was acquired by Adobe, then he was poached by Skype
>> who were poached by Microsoft, and now he's a Very Senior Architect
>> spending most of his time flying around the world to far-flung
>> offices, architecting and implementing scalable P2P in the cloud.
>
> Flying sucks. Time spent flying should be a measure of failure, not
> success.
>
> Anyway, I wouldn't go so far as to deny the existence of
> petabyte-sized data sets, or to deny that some organisations derive
> value from being able to pass them through CPUs in a reasonable amount
> of time. I merely question the value of a mailing list post that says
> "hey, big data, we should do that".

Which is not, as far as I understood, what Pine said.
I read "Hey, big data, cool topic, interesting articles for who may be
interested follow. No action needed."
So what's the point of all this sarcasm? (note: rhetoric question, you
should not need to answer this).

We all know that our problems lie elsewhere, and as far as I am
concerned I think that the topic of "Wikimedia and Big Data" is only a
great opportunity for anyone who is interested.

That said, Pine, thank you for the interesting reading.

Cristian