[Wikimedia-l] compromise?

cyrano cyrano.fawkes at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 22:50:33 UTC 2013

Le 02/01/2013 18:42, Oliver Keyes a écrit :
> On 2 January 2013 19:25, cyrano <cyrano.fawkes at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>>   You're comparing your standard of living with extreme ways of life, and
>> you reach the conclusion that yours is moderate. However, if you compare
>> with the rest of mankind, you're still getting things that 99% of them
>> don't get.
>>
>> I think that's probably true, but the fact of the matter is that Leslie is
> not saying "here is an extremity, I get less" - she's saying "here is an
> extremity that is Standard Operating Procedure at
> Facebook/Google/Twitter//insertyourorgofchoice, where almost any of us
> could get a job...I get less". In the context of a conversation comparing
> WMF benefits with those of similar orgs in the Bay Area that makes total
> sense as a statement. I would agree that it is better than 99 percent of
> humanity, but I'm not sure who *dis*agrees with that statement: you appear
> to be arguing against a position that hasn't been made.

I'm proud of people like Leslie who work for less money than other
opportunities but for a cause. They stand for their beliefs and their
values, I strongly respect that.
Yet the money of the donations, which is given for a universal cause, is
paying an incredibly tiny subset of humanity with very expensive
standards of life. I think that's something pertinent to consider given
the topic.