[Wikimedia-l] License issue on GPL and CC-by-sa mix up

Mathieu Stumpf psychoslave at culture-libre.org
Sat Feb 23 10:12:40 UTC 2013

Hello,

One of my favorite wikimedia project is the wiktionary, I probably use
it everyday and I like to contribute on the french chapter here and
there.

As I'm learning esperanto, I wanted to improve the french wiktionary on
this topic. My first thought was to begin by gathering a list of
vocabulary, make a todo page with links and go on.

But I found that there is already a free/libre dictionary out there :
Reta Vortaro[1]. Morever this dictionary provide definition in several
languages, so I thought instead of making a word by word contribution
only for the french chapter, I could add a whole esperanto dictionary to
several chapters in once. It sounds great doesn't it ?

Unfortunately, this dictionary is under GPL which is a well known free
license (but a strange choice for a non-software project). So I would
like to know, can I mix up a GPL content with a CC-by-sa page (in cases
where such a page already exist), and more generaly can I add GPL
content into the wiktionary.

If no, could we approach their community and ask them for a relicensing
under CC-by-sa, so we could add their great work into our wiktionaries.
I also send this message to email I found to contact them[2].

Kind regards,
mathieu

[1] http://purl.org/NET/voko/revo/
[2] http://reta-vortaro.de/revo/dok/revolist.html