[Wikimedia-l] White House orders open access to federally sponsored research

phoebe ayers phoebe.wiki at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 00:30:28 UTC 2013

On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 2:33 PM, James Salsman <jsalsman at gmail.com> wrote:

> This looks pretty substantial:
>

> http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/microsites/ostp/ostp_public_access_memo_2013.pdf
>
> "The Office of Science and Technology Policy (OSTP) hereby directs
> each Federal agency with over $100 million in annual conduct of
> research and development expenditures to develop a plan to support
> increased public access to the results of research funded by the
> Federal Government."

Yeah, this is pretty exciting. It is also a positive response to the OA
petition that we promoted on the blog a while back. It's causing lots of
excitement in the librarian community today: this directive means that a
*lot* of public scientific research in the U.S., maybe the majority of it,
will become openly accessible to the public, which is a huge step forward
for OA. The NIH mandate that proceeded this was one of the biggest boosts
to OA, and this is much more encompassing.

SPARC (which is an academic library organization promoting OA) issued a
press release in support:
http://www.arl.org/sparc/media/sparc-applauds-white-house-for-landmark-directive-.shtml

-- phoebe

--
* I use this address for lists; send personal messages to phoebe.ayers <at>
gmail.com *