[Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation's support of OTRS

Tomasz Ganicz polimerek at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 11:15:55 UTC 2013

2013/2/21 Peter Gervai <grinapo at gmail.com>:
> On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 11:43 AM, Tomasz Ganicz <polimerek at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I personally feel more comfortable if the OTRS system is maintained by
>> WMF and not by any small (or even larger) Wikimedia chapter - even my
>
> We were talking about local versions.
>
> Global OTRS _will_not_ be operated by wmhu (we neither want nor offer
> it); the question was who can support the administration of the _WMF_
> OTRS. WMF can use south-sudanese contractors to run it if it pleases,
> or a chapter, or whoever, it's the same: all the responsibilities stay
> at WMF.

Yes.. sure organizing local OTRS system is up to the local chapters,
but bear in mind we are talking about official E-mail addresses of
relevant Wikimedia projects. The personal data included in these
E-mails is subject of WMF privacy policy:

http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Privacy_policy

http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Access_to_nonpublic_data_policy

E-mails sent to OTRS contain quite often very fragile personal data -
such as real names of editors, home addresses, phone numbers etc.

And I guess WMF will never let to operate it or store by any third
party including chapters.

--
Tomek "Polimerek" Ganicz
http://www.ganicz.pl/poli/