[Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation's support of OTRS

Federico Leva (Nemo) nemowiki at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 10:36:46 UTC 2013

Peter Gervai, 21/02/2013 11:25:
> On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 11:20 AM, Federico Leva (Nemo) wrote:
>> Peter Gervai, 21/02/2013 11:04:
>>
>>> I can help supporting OTRS, and Wikimedia Hungary can officially
>>> support it as well. I do not intend to look for alternatives, partly
>>> because I'm quite happy with OTRS, partly because I haven't met
>>> anything better suiting this kind of job and partly because I'm not
>>> interested suporting something I do not know.
>>

>> Interesting. Has hu.wiki ever considered to use a WM-HU hosted instance of
>> OTRS instead of the WMF one?
>
> Yes. It wasn't done because more often than not we got negative
> feedback from the foundation when we wanted to host some of our own
> services. Actually setting up a new one is quite simple, almost I'd
> say a matter of minutes, plus maybe a few hours with all the
> customisation (and thise we _severely_ miss by using the central
> administered one).

It's not surprising that you had negative feedback from the WMF, but it
would be interesting to know if and why the hu.wiki community and the
chapter discussed it and thought it was a good idea and under which
conditions. The technical part is rather easy, but the organisation of a
migration is not.
I'm sure that the WMIT board would never agree to host an OTRS service
for it.wiki even if the community begged it (which is highly unlikely to
happen anyway ;) ): it would like begging people to sue us for a few
more 20 M€ requests.

Nemo