[Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation's support of OTRS

Peter Gervai grinapo at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 10:25:20 UTC 2013

On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 11:20 AM, Federico Leva (Nemo)
<nemowiki at gmail.com> wrote:
> Peter Gervai, 21/02/2013 11:04:
>
>> I can help supporting OTRS, and Wikimedia Hungary can officially
>> support it as well. I do not intend to look for alternatives, partly
>> because I'm quite happy with OTRS, partly because I haven't met
>> anything better suiting this kind of job and partly because I'm not
>> interested suporting something I do not know.
>

> Interesting. Has hu.wiki ever considered to use a WM-HU hosted instance of
> OTRS instead of the WMF one?

Yes. It wasn't done because more often than not we got negative
feedback from the foundation when we wanted to host some of our own
services. Actually setting up a new one is quite simple, almost I'd
say a matter of minutes, plus maybe a few hours with all the
customisation (and thise we _severely_ miss by using the central
administered one).

> Given that this was among the suggested
> solutions here, it would be useful to know about previous discussions on the
> matter.

Indeed. I wasn't following the discussion since I supposed it's been handled.

> (The only thing I know is that WMIT considers WMF's OTRS so crappy that even
> our own – rather bad – instance is preferred to using theirs.)

It is not really maintained on the sysadmin level, to put it mildly.
I'm willing to change that if there's interest.

But your question may induce me to install one with the wikimedia
config just to see how it works with the new one. :-)

--
 byte-byte,
    grin