[Wikimedia-l] Russian internet censorship

Виктория mstislavl1 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 15:11:32 UTC 2013

There was an attempt to curtail access to Wikipedia in School N22 in Orel
in October - an assistant prosecutor put some Russian swear words into a
search engine on one of the schools' computers and - o dear! - discovered
that the Russian Wikipedia has an article about swear words citing them.

The provider got a demand to block access to the page. But AFAIK this is as
far as this particular story went; Wikipedia is too high profile to start a
war with it.

There is a Russian saying: "However strict Russia's laws may be, their full
power is reduced due to a lack of regular enforcement."
Victoria