[Wikimedia-l] Russian internet censorship

Yaroslav M. Blanter putevod at mccme.ru
Tue Feb 12 13:10:35 UTC 2013

On Tue, 12 Feb 2013 05:43:25 -0600, Samuel Klein wrote:
> Russia seems to be experimenting with Internet blacklist and
> whitelist
> programs.  Is ru:wp likely to be affected by this?
>

> http://globalvoicesonline.org/2013/02/03/russian-internet-censorship-imitates-satire/
>

> https://www.accessnow.org/blog/2013/02/08/russia-blacklists-site-hosting-blogs-of-prominent-journalists
>

> SJ

To my understanding, this is unpredictable. The laws in the form they
passed the parliament make, in principle, some content in Wikipedia and
on Commons illegal. On the other hand, the laws are not reasonable, and
will be implemented occasionally. Whether Wikipedia is going to be
affected is probably determined by whether some zealous investigator
will decide to pursue the case. So far, they first warned websites and
then blacklisted them if no reaction was forthcoming, but this practice
can change anytime.

Cheers
Yaroslav