[Wikimedia-l] Copyright URAA trolls on Wikimedia Commons

Tomasz W. Kozlowski tomasz at twkozlowski.net
Mon Dec 30 14:35:11 UTC 2013

Gerard Meijssen wrote:

> You have a really strong opinion. When you read this thread, you will
> notice that it is not appreciated by many and seen as disruptive. Can you
> appreciate it in this way?

No, as the only part where I expressed my opinion was the assumption
that Klaus suggested we only delete files after receiving takedown
notices because he didn't realize it was in direct contradiction to the
precautionary principle. The rest of my e-mail is basically a quote of
that very principle.

I refuse to accept the premise that expressing one's opinion on this
mailing list is not appreciated only because some people might find it
strong (or weak, or whatever), as I believe it to be fundamentally flawed.

I also refuse to accept the suggestion that /my/ opinion (whatever it
might be) is not appreciated "by many" and "seen as disruptive", unless
you can point me to direct evidence that says so -- preferably to

> You argument about re-users is valid when you turn around the argument as
> well; as long as we do NOT have a take down notice re-users are better
> served by the continuation of the presence of images.

This basically means that we should keep images that violate someone's
copyright as long as we do not receive a takedown notice from them. I
cannot possibly stress enough how bad an idea this is.

           Tomasz