[Wikimedia-l] Let's accept Bitcoin as a donation method

Tomasz W. Kozlowski tomasz at twkozlowski.net
Fri Dec 13 22:31:20 UTC 2013

Andrew Bogott wrote:

> So, we have a problem, and then we have an already-implemented
> solution... what is left for anyone to do but dust off their hands and
> go to lunch?  If Bitpay has already solved the exact problem that we're
> discussion, why would the foundation spend a nickel duplicating their work?

There are, I believe, several problem with that solution: (1) Bitpay
seems to have created that merchant account without ever discussing this
with the Foundation, (2) the account is not owned by the Foundation, and
the Foundation does not have any influence over it at the moment, (3)
given choice, the Foundation might have decided to use the services of
their competitor (for whatever reasons).

That's just off the top of my head, but I'm sure other people (not to
mention Foundation lawyers!) can think of other things.

           Tomasz