[Wikimedia-l] Resolution: Media about living people

Jane Darnell jane023 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 11 21:35:11 UTC 2013

Thanks for this, but even with the amendments it sounds pretty weak.
The closing text just shows how helpless we are in helping subjects
when their article is under the watchful eye of some Wikipedia editor
who feels that they "own" biography articles they have been watching
for years. Though I support the intention behind this statement
("Treating any person who has a complaint about how they are portrayed
in our projects with patience, kindness, and respect, and encouraging
others to do the same"), it still offers no indication of a path
forward for such subjects.  I would like to know where subjects can
post their complaint besides on the talk page, since putting
complaints there is still a form of publication and only serves to
propagate the sensitive information that subjects want removed. Also,
the text coming after "People sometimes make edits or add media
designed to smear others" also doesn't address the problem. There are
lots of unnecessarily sensitive edits made that are not made
maliciously, but if they are sourced, are practically impossible to
have removed, if the "personal owner" disagrees. I guess for major TV
personalities and such it may be easier because there are more people
watching and editing such biographies, but in the case of marginally
notable people, they have no recourse whatsoever, as far as I can see.