[Wikimedia-l] Let's accept Bitcoin as a donation method

Nathan nawrich at gmail.com
Wed Dec 11 15:54:05 UTC 2013

On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 10:10 AM, David Cuenca <dacuetu at gmail.com> wrote:

> In my opinon this whole bitcoin debate is framed incorrectly. The question
> is not if it should be accepted or not, but which parameters make any
> currency or payment method acceptable.
>
> If I had to name a few, I would say:
> * less than 10% variation against WOCU (or any other currency basket) last
> fiscal year
> * at least 10b USD transaction volume last fiscal year
>
> I don't have any preference for or against bitcoin either, but I think any
> payment method should fulfill certain stability requirements. Once bitcoin
> or any other currency fullfills those requirements (the ones I have
> mentioned or others), it should be accepted.
>
> Cheers,
> Micru

It'd be simpler to state that the major factor in accepting a new payment
type is enabling donors who otherwise might not be able to donate. Adding a
currency with a small constituency might make sense, even if the currency
is unstable, if it permits donations from supporters in their native
currency. Bitcoin isn't native currency for anyone, and anyone who wishes
to make a Bitcoin donation could certainly do so using a more standard
currency.