[Wikimedia-l] Let's accept Bitcoin as a donation method

David Cuenca dacuetu at gmail.com
Wed Dec 11 15:10:53 UTC 2013

On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 3:45 PM, Robert Rohde <rarohde at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 2:37 PM, MZMcBride <z at mzmcbride.com> wrote:
> > Has there been any discussion about simply accepting Bitcoins but not
> > exchanging them?
> <snip>
>
> I don't have a strong opinion on whether WMF should or should not
> accept Bitcoin donations.  However, even if we were to accept them, I
> don't believe we should be collecting them.  As I believe is already
> the case with most foreign currency donations, Bitcoins (if accepted)
> should be exchanged for dollars shortly after being received.

In my opinon this whole bitcoin debate is framed incorrectly. The question
is not if it should be accepted or not, but which parameters make any
currency or payment method acceptable.

If I had to name a few, I would say:
* less than 10% variation against WOCU (or any other currency basket) last
fiscal year
* at least 10b USD transaction volume last fiscal year

I don't have any preference for or against bitcoin either, but I think any
payment method should fulfill certain stability requirements. Once bitcoin
or any other currency fullfills those requirements (the ones I have
mentioned or others), it should be accepted.

Cheers,
Micru