[Wikimedia-l] Fundraising banner obscuring site interface

Peter Coombe pcoombe at wikimedia.org
Mon Dec 9 19:06:13 UTC 2013

I'm not aware that there ever was such an agreement. Annoyance to users is
certainly something that we do try to minimise, and we've actually rejected
a number of designs so far this year for that reason. However we thought
carefully about this banner before testing it and considered it okay for a
few reasons:

* We've actually heard anecdotal feedback from users that they meant to
donate but were missing/forgetting the banner once they scrolled down to
read the article.
* The floating tab takes up only a very small portion of the screen, and
does not overlap with the article.
* Fundraising banners are no longer displayed to logged in users, who are
the main users of the sidebar.
* There is a prominent close button.

Our donor services team haven't seen any negative emails about this banner.
Moreover adding the floating tab results in an increase in donations of
roughly 15%, one of the biggest improvements we have found so far this
year. So we hope this will help us to reach our target sooner, and annoy
fewer users overall.

--
Peter Coombe
Fundraising Production Coordinator