[Wikimedia-l] Questions about the login

Tyler Romeo tylerromeo at gmail.com
Sat Aug 31 15:46:12 UTC 2013

On Sat, Aug 31, 2013 at 10:41 AM, David Cuenca <dacuetu at gmail.com> wrote:

> 1) Is there any way to know if I have other sessions open and close them
> (like in Gmail)? I used another computer and I don't remember if Iogged
> out.

Not yet. There is an extension Extension:SecureSessions that implements
this, and hopefully will be deployed in the future (it's not ready for
deployment yet, since it needs more development).

On Sat, Aug 31, 2013 at 10:45 AM, James Alexander <jalexander at wikimedia.org>
 wrote:

> Not a perfect answer for this but my understanding of the way the sessions
> work at the moment is that you can force other sessions closed by logging
> out. If you log out in one place you will be logged out in all places (this
> remembering is dredged up from a discussion months ago but I just tested it
> and it does seem to hold true :) ). Obviously that doesn't help the 'see if
> you have other sessions' problem but if you are ever concerned could work
> well. It still means you can log IN to multiple sites just once you click
> log out it ends all sessions.

Also not (entirely) accurate. In MediaWiki core, logging out will only
clear your current session, not all sessions. Only in CentralAuth will
logging out do such a thing. Why such functionality exists and is in
contrast to core functionality is beyond me.

*-- *
*Tyler Romeo*
Major in Computer Science
www.whizkidztech.com | tylerromeo at gmail.com