[Wikimedia-l] is wikipedia zero illegal because it violates net neutrality?

Martijn Hoekstra martijnhoekstra at gmail.com
Mon Aug 26 17:14:01 UTC 2013

On Aug 26, 2013 6:30 PM, "JP Béland" <lebo.beland at gmail.com> wrote:

> "And if it is illegal or borderline according to, say,
> netherlands, swiss, or german law, is it appropriate to do it in
> countries where the law is less developed? "
>
> As said Kevin, it is impossible to respect the law of all countries in
> every country (Wikipedia already fails at that in its current state by
> the way, with or without Wikipedia Zero). So no we cannot "just
> abstain from any
> activity which might be perceived as illegal somewhere". After that,
> are you suggesting we should apply the laws of some "developed"
> countries to all countries and just ignore the others, this is way
> more morally wrong in my opinion.
>
> That being said, the law on net neutrality you cited applies to ISP,
> which Wikipedia Zero or the WMF isn't, so it doesn't apply to it.
>
> But of course, we as a community and the WMF should still keep high
> ethical and moral standards.
>
> JP Beland
> aka Amqui

I do think there is some merit in the net neutrality argument, at least
sufficiently so to be open to discussion on whether or not offering
Wikipedia Zero is a good thing. It comes down to the question if we believe
that having a walled garden variety of internet consisting only of
Wikipedia for free, and with that undermining the market position for a
paid, open internet is a net positive. I'm inclined to say it is, but the
opposite position, though counter-intuitive, is pretty defensible.

-Martijn