[Wikimedia-l] WMUA chapter mailing list switched to 'read-only' mode

Asaf Bartov abartov at wikimedia.org
Mon Aug 19 18:05:41 UTC 2013

When one reads the links offered by Pavlo, the picture is clearer.  The
board is trying to suppress on-list criticism with this step, claiming
"people" (no doubt including Pavlo) are "trolls and spammers".  I think we
all know things are often not black and white, and that accusations of
trolling are sometimes used by people to brand legitimate opponents (and
sometimes people really are trolls).

I can't presume to know whether Pavlo is a troll or not, or what the
subtance of his criticism is, and how justified it may be.  WMUA's current
leadership elected to (try to) halt the debate rather than face the
criticism (no doubt they have engaged in multiple previous rounds as well),
and we can assume the WMUA membership will judge their action as they see
fit.

But let's not pretend this is a question of a sudden need to set up a new
mailing list.  That's not what this is about.

   A.