[Wikimedia-l] An idea that may improve Wikipedia's fundraising

MZMcBride z at mzmcbride.com
Mon Aug 19 04:57:41 UTC 2013

Matthew Walker wrote:
>In the past days there's been discussion internal to the fundraising team
>-- it appears that the 'fundraising principles' I thought we held are not
>uniformly held by others. In this particular instance it seems that gift
>premiums are not entirely off the table. I've been told that the reason we
>have not done them in the past is mostly due to technical limitations. The
>current view is that we should keep our options open to future
>experimentation if the situation allows.

Hi.

I think establishing fundraising principles and documenting them at
Meta-Wiki would still be a great idea. Would you be able to start such a
page if one doesn't exist already?

Outside of purely fundraising techniques, establishing what is and is not
appropriate for fundraising banners would also be nice to have. For
example, are splash pages off the table? CentralNotice has previously been
used to completely block out the site, so it's certainly technically
possible. What about banners that obstruct or obfuscate article content?
Are these ever acceptable? Is it okay to stretch the truth if it brings in
more money (e.g., "Wikipedia Executive Director")?

I think clarity as to what the Wikimedia Foundation fundraising team
considers appropriate or off-limits in order to reach its goals is
very important to have.

MZMcBride