[Wikimedia-l] Proposal - Training for Wikimedia movement boards

Federico Leva (Nemo) nemowiki at gmail.com
Tue Aug 13 14:39:51 UTC 2013

David Gerard, 13/08/2013 15:47:
> Excellent and well done!
>
> It's pretty much standard in small charities that board members start
> off as enthusiasts on the topic, but who have *no idea* how to be a
> board member of a nonprofit. (Been there, done that, beg off all
> opportunities these days.) This is not good. Training people for the
> role is a *marvellous* idea.

True. Even worse, many do not even try to be board members (or active
chapter members, for that matter) because they (think they) don't have
enough experience. It's crucial to ensure the availability of growing
paths (usually informal) for volunteers or you lose them and they lose
opportunities.
For me, it's been crucial to be told by a prof. "you can learn the job
of a [university] board member in 6 months" (so it's inexcusable if you
don't, but you must try). He was right.

Nemo