[Wikimedia-l] Visual Editor "temporary" opt-out

Kevin Wayne Williams kwwilliams at kwwilliams.com
Tue Aug 6 15:06:59 UTC 2013

Op 2013/08/06 7:55, Martijn Hoekstra schreef:
> On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 4:51 PM, Kevin Wayne Williams <
> kwwilliams op kwwilliams.com> wrote:
>
>>   Their argument for
>> 'opt-out' is based solely upon the quality and quantity of testing that it
>> affords to VE. VE is not a mission-critical feature: while we have concerns
>> about Wikipedia's sustainability, there's no question that it has survived
>> for years and will survive for years more. The stability of the site is
>> much more important than testing this code, and the testing strategy of
>> presenting it as if it was functioning software and seeing what people did
>> with it wasn't a reasonable decision: it was completely and absolutely
>> irresponsible.
>>

> Opt-out with a beta or experimental notice (as it is now when enabled on
> en.wiki) doesn't seem to have the problem of presenting it if it were
> mature software you present as the pivotal problem in this post.
Their deployment strategy (not labeling the software as beta on the user
interface, changing the function of the existing buttons, no warning
when the software was entered, deploying it to new editors that had no
chance of having seen notices about it) hinged on getting the unwary and
uninformed to press the "edit" button without realizing what they were
getting into. Saying that it is reasonable *now* doesn't excuse the five
weeks that preceded it.

KWW