[Wikimedia-l] Visual Editor "temporary" opt-out

Richard Farmbrough richard at farmbrough.co.uk
Tue Aug 6 13:10:38 UTC 2013

Apparently important.  I am aware, as probably everyone is, that this is
the first most obvious step to make article editing more accessible, and
address certain inclusiveness goals.  I am also aware that there is no
data to support the theory that a visual editor means more inclusive
editing, let alone that it will result in better content.

I will simply add a couple of observations.

The learning curve for wikitext is one of the shallowest of any
application.  Press edit, type in the box and press save.  If you can
type and press edit and save (the latter two of which /are/ HMI issues
IMHO) you can edit Wikimedia projects.

Secondly, and anecdotally, most full functioned word-processors have a
plethora of functions that are usually only known about by the same
"tech-savvy"  group that we currently believe are at home with wiki-text.

Thirdly I vividly remember my first editing experiences - I did not
think I would /ever /be touching stuff like infoboxes and categories,
but they made no real obstacle to editing.  (The keyboard only method of
formatting text took seconds to understand, and saves a huge amount of
time.)

I would not be surprised if the /choice/ of editor turns out to be the
reason that editing has fallen off more rather than the VE itself.