[Wikimedia-l] Why the WP will never be a real encyclopaedia

Mark delirium at hackish.org
Thu Aug 1 20:41:11 UTC 2013

On 8/1/13 10:22 PM, Rui Correia wrote:
> So, "just because" there isn't an artice about "Khoi people living in
> Denmark" is no reason to not have an article about "White Europens of
> Europen descent livng in Patagonia" or "White Europens of Europen descent
> livng in Timbaktu". We have allowed ourselves to fall victim of the digital
> divide - the Khoi don't have computers and internet, white Europeans do.

There are a surprising number of such articles, though not specifically
on Khoi people living in Denmark (yet). One can, however, read about
[[Chinese people in Denmark]], [[Pakistanis in Denmark]], [[Somalis in
Sweden]], and likewise for many pairs of X-in-Y.

I agree there is systemic bias in which subset of such X-in-Y pairs have
articles, especially good ones. I suspect systemic bias in the
availability of English-language sources is one contributing factor (and
likewise the availability of German-language sources for the analogous
de.wiki articles, etc.).

-Mark