[Wikimedia-l] GLAM newsletter in the WMF monthly report (was: Wikimedia-l Digest, Vol 109, Issue 34)

Tilman Bayer tbayer at wikimedia.org
Tue Apr 30 19:18:19 UTC 2013

On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 4:41 PM, Romaine Wiki <romaine_wiki at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello Tilman,
>
> Thanks for composing the report and sending it.
>
> In section 9.2.6 I saw the Wikipedia Signpost. Perhaps it is also possible and interesting to add another newsletter that describes a mayor field of interest for Wikimedias in the world. For two years and three months now we publish every month a newsletter about what happened in the Wikimedias regarding GLAM in the past month. Each month the new edition can be found on http://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/GLAM/Newsletter

> Greetings,
>
> Romaine
>
> ---
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Romaine

Hi Romaine,

thanks for you suggestion. I am a regular reader (and infrequent
copyeditor) of "This Month in GLAM"; I think it is a great resource.

The scope of these monthly WMF reports is, roughly, the work of
Foundation staff during that month. Recall that they started out as
Sue's reports to the Board; they are a basic instrument of
transparency and accountability for the Foundation. As such, their
main focus is not on the kind of work by volunteers and chapters
that's covered in the GLAM newsletter - these are often the topic of
other posts on https://blog.wikimedia.org/ . The Communications
section of the WMF report includes a list of external media coverage
from that month, because that relates to the job of the Communications
team, and the Signpost issues from each past month are listed there
for similar purposes, and also because it reports a lot on the work of
WMF staff ("lots of detailed coverage and news summaries").

That said, the separate monthly "Wikimedia Highlights" do indeed cover
non-WMF work too, and have featured a lot of news from the GLAM
newsletter - with a link back to the corresponding full story - in the
past. (Admittedly a bit less often in recent months, but I seem to
recall we had up to three TIMG-sourced highlights at one point.) These
also get translated into various language each month. If you have
suggestions for/from the upcoming April issue, feel free to leave them
here before the metrics meeting on Thursday afternoon UTC:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_Highlights#Movement_news_items_for_April_2013

>> Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 11:55:48 -0700
>> From: Tilman Bayer <tbayer at wikimedia.org>
>> To: wikimediaannounce-l at lists.wikimedia.org
>> Cc: Staff All <wmfall at lists.wikimedia.org>
>> Subject: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Wikimedia
>> Foundation
>>     Report,    March 2013
>> <CAPDdKA5Yj6GR9YamGhdCoDni+SY6Sc_Mp4_B_TCz+4c0zRDj-g at mail.gmail.com>
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> please find below the WMF report for March 2013, in plain
>> text.
>>
>> As always, the editable and formatted version has been
>> published on Meta:
>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Report,_March_2013

Tilman Bayer
Senior Operations Analyst (Movement Communications)
Wikimedia Foundation
IRC (Freenode): HaeB