[Wikimedia-l] [Fundraising 2013] Wikimedia France stepping back from payment processing

Christophe Henner christophe.henner at gmail.com
Tue Apr 30 16:39:59 UTC 2013

Hey Dan,

Sure : http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reconnaissance_d'utilit%C3%A9_publique
and http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/associations/F1131.xhtml

In France all associations are, a priori, charities. The french fiscal
services can withdraw that status for many reasons. One of them is if
they believe the money raised using tax deductibility is not
supporting french citizen/culture enough. Once you have that
recognition, this charity status is much much harder to remove.

We've been planning to ask for that status in 2013 for few month,
Sébastien Baijard, our fundraiser, had that as one of his goal when
hired. We didn't before because the process is a really complex one.
We actually rewrote our bylaws in 2010 and 2011 to best fit RUP needs
(it includes information about board member being forbiden to get
paid, the rules for employees to run for board once they leave their
paid job in the association, and other informations like that).

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask
--
Christophe