[Wikimedia-l] Glossary vs. Glossaries

Guillaume Paumier gpaumier at wikimedia.org
Tue Apr 30 14:28:24 UTC 2013

Hi,

On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 2:27 PM, Guillaume Paumier
<gpaumier at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> * Google custom search: Waldir recently used Google Custom Search to
> created a search tool to find technical information across many pages
> and sites where information is currently fragmented:
> http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikitech-l/2013-March/067450.html
> . We could set up a similar tool (or a floss alternative) that would
> include all glossaries. By advertising the tool prominently on
> existing glossary pages (so that users know it exists), this could
> allow us to curate more specific glossaries, while keeping them all
> searchable with one tool.

Just a quick note to let people know that this is now up and running:
https://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=015296225943515200682:ds3sfewbbrw

(Note to Ghostery users: you'll have to enable "Google AJAX Search
API" to see search results.)

I'm slightly annoyed that this is a third-party tool and I'd much
prefer a floss alternative running on Tool Labs or something, but
until that happens, we have a working tool we can use to search a term
across scattered Wikimedia-related glossaries.

I'd like to find people to help maintain the URL list (right now
there's a version at
https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?oldid=5406259 ) so if you'd
like to help, contact me offlist and I'll give you access.

The next step is to better organize the glossaries, and actually add
definitions; I'll start another thread later about this.

--
Guillaume Paumier
Technical Communications Manager — Wikimedia Foundation