[Wikimedia-l] [Fundraising 2013] Wikimedia France stepping back from payment processing

Christophe Henner christophe.henner at wikimedia.fr
Mon Apr 29 20:28:09 UTC 2013

Hi everyone,

A quick email to announce and explain current WMFr payment processor status.

As some of you know, French regulations makes it hard to transfer ver
50% of the fund raised locally to an international organisation.

Until know, WMFr budget was always somewhat equal to 50% of the money
raised. Last year fundraising was "too" efficient in France and we've
reached the point when 50% of the funds raised in France are much more
than WMFr actual budget.

In face of that situation, Wikimedia France board has asked WMF to
stop being a payment processor in 2013, and that until we have found a
suitable solution to handle the movement needs. We already have
possible solutions, such as asking for having a "super charity" status
(reconnaissance d'utilité publique / being recognised as an
organisation for general good).

That process is a lengthy and over bureaucratic one, and we don't know
how fast it can get to obtain it.

In the coming month, WMFr will work with WMF on explaining to French
donors that they can't ask for tax deduction next year and handling
their requests.

As said last year in our letter to the board and ED of Wikimedia
Foundation, being a payment processor or not doesn't change whether
WMFr will support the localisation of the fundraising efforts.

Late 2012, WMFr board decided to start looking for external funding
sources. Removing ourselves will also allow us to dedicate more
resources to that activity.

Our hope is that in the coming months WMFr will have a stronger fiscal
position and will be able to ask to be a payment processor again because we
still believe that having local fundraising handled by local
organisations is more efficient and more sustainable on the long run.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask even offline if you
prefer to.

Best,

Christophe HENNER | Vice-chair
› Mail : christophe.henner at wikimedia.fr