[Wikimedia-l] Resignation announcement, and a parting remark to everyone

phoebe ayers phoebe.wiki at gmail.com
Mon Apr 29 19:56:19 UTC 2013

On Sun, Apr 28, 2013 at 3:52 PM, Deryck Chan <deryckchan at wikimedia.hk>wrote:

> Dear trusty Wikimedians,
>
> The FDC decisions are out on Sunday. Despite my desperate attempts to
> assist WMHK's board to keep up with deadlines and comply with seemingly
> endless requests from WMF grantmaking and FDC support staff, we received an
> overwhelmingly negative assessment which resulted in a complete rejection
> of our FDC proposal.
>
> At this point, I believe it's an appropriate time for me to announce my
> resignation and retirement from all my official Wikimedia roles - as
> Administrative Assistant and WCA Council Member of WMHK. I will carry out
> my remaining duties as a member of Wikimania 2013 local team.

Deryck! I'm also sorry to read this message, and sorry that it has been so
frustrating for you and the rest of the HK team.

It sounds like it was tough to communicate what was going on with the other
grant, and there is disagreement and confusion about whether the end of
that grant was appropriately communicated to WMF. Perhaps this is a good
time for the ombudsperson to step in and take a look at what happened.

I'd also say that this is an area of FDC process we need to shore up and
clarify (eligible entities should expect to stay eligible, or know clearly
that they might become ineligible under certain circumstances).

I can't wait to attend Wikimania, and visit Hong Kong for the first time. I
know that planning the conference is incredibly stressful on top of
everything else. Hang in there,

-- Phoebe