[Wikimedia-l] Resignation announcement, and a parting remark to everyone

Markus Glaser markus.glaser at wikimedia.de
Mon Apr 29 18:23:28 UTC 2013

Deryck,

it makes me sad to read your leaving message, as I have got to know you
as a very constructive and engaged person, and I think your input and
contributions are very valuable to the movement.

It seems to me that we all kind of agree there's a gap between GAC and
FDC funding when it comes to professionalization, esp. setting up an
office and first staff. Also, there's the possibility of losing all the
funding. That, IMHO, is a very dangerous situation for an organisation.
Maybe it would help to have a process to "up-" or "downgrade" a funding
proposal from GAC to FDC and vice versa, so in case a FDC proposal is
not approved at all, there's still a fallback option.

Also, I think we should offer some guidance through the process based on
the experience we made so far. As has been stated before, the step from
zero to three employees is a big one. Maybe an early assessment of the
proposal might have lead to other options and better success in funding.
Personally, I am no expert in FDC funding, but can we not get a group of
people together who are willing to help with such an assessment?

Best,
Markus

--
Markus Glaser