[Wikimedia-l] The case for supporting open source machine translation

Mathieu Stumpf psychoslave at culture-libre.org
Mon Apr 29 08:30:26 UTC 2013

Le 2013-04-26 17:00, Gerard Meijssen a écrit :
> Hoi,
> When we invest in MT it is to convey knowledge, information and
> primarily
> Wikipedia articles. They do not have the same problems poetry has.
> With
> explanatory articles on a subject there is a web of associated
> concepts.
> These concepts are likely to occur in any language if the subject
> exists in
> that other language.
>
> Consequently MT can work for Wikipedia and provide quite a solid
> interpretation of what the article is about. This is helped when the
> associated concepts are recognised as such and when the translations
> for
> these concepts are used in the MT.
> Thanks,
>       GerardM

I think that poetry just make a easy to grab example of the more
general problem of "lexical/meaning" intrication which will appears at
some point. Different cultures will have different conceptualizations of
what one may perceive. So this is not just a matter of concept sets, but
rather of concept network dynamics, how concepts interacts within a
world representation. And interaction means combinatorial problems,
which require paramount ressources.

Those said, I agree that having MT to help "adapt" articles from one
language/culture to an other one would be useful.

> [...]
>> I do
>> think that MT could probably be as good as a profesional
>> translators. But
>> even profesional translators can't make "perfect translations". I
>> already
>> gave the example of poetry, but you may also take example of humour,
>> which
>> ask for some cultural background, otherwise you have to explain why
>> it's
>> funny and you know that you have to explain a joke, it's not a joke.
>>

>>  If you read some of
>>> the discussions in linguistic relativity (Sapir-Whorf hypothesis),
>>> there
>>> is
>>> research to suggest that a language a person is born with dictates
>>> their
>>> thought processes and their view of the world - there might not be
>>> absolutes when it comes to linguistic cognition. There is something
>>> inherently unique in the cognitive patterns of different languages.
>>>

>> That's just how learning process work, you can't "understand"
>> something
>> you didn't experiment. Reading an algorithm won't give you the
>> insight
>> you'll get when you process it mentaly (with the help of pencil and
>> paper)
>> and a textual description of "making love" won't provide you the
>> feeling it
>> provide.
>>

>>  Which brings me to the point, why not English? Your idea seems
>> plausible
>>> enough even if your remove the abstract idea of complete language
>>> universality, without venturing into the science-fiction labyrinth
>>> of
>>> man-machine collaboration.
>>>

>> English have many so called "non-neutral" problems. As far as I
>> know, if
>> the goal is to use syntactically unambiguous human language, lojban
>> is the
>> best current candidate. English as an international language is a
>> very
>> harmful situation. Believe it or not, but I sometime have to
>> translate to
>> English sentences which are written in French, because the writer
>> was
>> thinking with English idiomatic locution that he poorly translated
>> French, its native language in which it doesn't know the idiomatic
>> locution. Even worst, I red people which where where using concepts
>> with an
>> English locution because they never matched it with the French
>> locution
>> that they know. And in the other way, I'm not sure that having
>> millions of
>> people speaking a broken English is a wonderful situation for this
>> language.
>>
>> Search "why not english as international language" if you need more

Association Culture-Libre
http://www.culture-libre.org/